Exciting new week of comics! Here’s what I read last week, and what I’m picking up this week.
What I read last week
- Deadpool #4 - The first issue I picked up of this new run was issue #3, and wasn’t convinced with how Skottie Young wrote Deadpool. It wasn’t very funny. However, this issue felt like a complete 180! It had me laughing in a few different moments.
- Cover #1 - The premise for this was pretty clever and I enjoyed the first issue. I’ve heard people say they didn’t like the art inside, but I thought it was pretty cool. Very different and unconventional, which I’d almost expect from a creator-owned comic.
- Paper Girls #24 - This comic is absolutely gorgeous. I’d love to frame the cover and hang it on my wall. Also, Cliff Chiang does a spectacular job with the inside. The colors are vibrant, the lettering is done very well, and it’s all printed on this glossy, thicker-than-other-books paper. And that’s to say nothing of the story. It was my first issue, and I’m very intrigued to see what happens next. I’ll be buying the back issues to catch up for sure.
- Deadpool #2 - Over the weekend I wanted to get some of the back issues of this, since I started on issue #3. The more I read this series, the more I like it. My initial hesitation on Skottie Young is long gone.
- Paper Girls Vol. 1 - After picking up Paper Girls on Wednesday I just had to catch up on this! I enjoyed the first volume and I’m starting to understand some of the things I read in issue #24. Again, what beautiful art by Cliff Chiang. I’m just entranced with every panel.
Favorite of the week: Paper Girls #24
Picking up this week
- The Amazing Spider-Man #5 - The first arc of this new run comes to an end this week, and I’m intrigued to see what happens. Nick Spencer is writing the Spider-Man I want to read, but I’m sad to see Ryan Ottley’s run end.
- Catwoman #3 - Can’t even imagine the work involved in being the writer, artist, and main cover artist on a title, but Joëlle Jones does it. Interested in seeing where this arc is headed.
- Fantastic Four #2 - A deciding issue of whether I keep picking this up, or trade wait. I liked the first issue, but we’ll see where this arc is headed.
- X-23 #4 - Mariko Tamaki is doing such a great job on this book. You can tell she did her homework and understands the personality of Laura and Gabby.